When trying to change the password in Command Prompt in Windows 10, you might encounter a somewhat weird and cryptic error with the following message:
“System Error 8646. The system is not authoritative for the specified account and therefore cannot complete the operation.”
Despite containing hard-to-understand for a regular consumer text, that error is relatively easy to fix. This article will show you how to fix the “System error 8646 the system is not authoritative for the specified account” error.
What Causes the “System is not Authoritative for the Specified Account” Error?
This kind of error happens mostly in two scenarios. First, when you try to change the password for a local account without administrative privileges. Second, when you try to change the password for a Microsoft Account using Command Prompt. Practice shows that users encounter the “System Error 8646” error in the second case most often. Another common error on Windows is DX11 Feature Level 10.0 is Required to run the engine.
Fixing System is not Authoritative for the Specified Account Error in Windows 10
If you encounter the “System is not authoritative for the specified account” error when trying to change the password for a local account, do the following:
- Close Command Prompt, then launch it again with elevated privileges. Press Win + R, enter the cmd command, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Try to change the password using the net user command. If that did not work, proceed to the next step.
- Close Command Prompt, then open Windows Settings.
- Go to Accounts > Sign-in Options.
- Click Passwords, then click Change.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
If you want to change the password for another local account, you can use the Control Panel. Note that you need to have Administrator privileges to complete the process.
- Press Win + R, then enter control. You can also use any other method to launch the Control Panel.
- Go to User Accounts.
- Then click the Manage another account link.
- Select Cange Password, then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Save the changes, then try to log in using the modified account.
Finally, you can fix the “System is not authoritative for the specified account” error in Windows 10 by changing the password for your Microsoft Account. Note that the net user command does not work with profiles with Microsoft accounts in Windows 10. Therefore, you need to change passwords on the official Microsoft Account website.
- Launch your preferred browser and open the account.microsoft.com page.
- Click the Sign-in button.
- Enter your email address, then click Next.
- Click the “Forgot Password” link.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to change the password for your Microsoft account.
- After resetting the password for a Microsoft Account, try to log in using the new password.