Unlike Android, where the Google Play Store automatically refunds your purchase if you uninstall an app minutes after buying it, refunding digital items from the App Store is far less straightforward. It is puzzling to see how Google created a seamless and user-friendly refunding system Apple just does not want to copy. Still, that does not mean you cannot request a refund from Apple. If you purchased something by mistake, made an impulse decision, or regret buying an app due to its poor quality, this article will show you how to refund a purchase in the Apple App Store.
How to Request a Refund from Apple?
Before we start, it is worth mentioning that we will talk about digital goods, not physical devices, such as iPhones or iPads. Also, you cannot get a refund from Apple for every purchase. For example, Apple would probably reject your refund request for a product you bought a year ago or for a “consumable” in-app purchase for your favorite game. Also, you cannot refund a pending purchase. Wait for your bank or Apple to complete the transaction, then request a refund from Apple.
To request an Apple refund, do the following:
- On your iOS or iPadOS device, open the Settings app and tap your profile.
- Open Media and Purchases.
- Tap View Account, then authorize yourself using FaceID, TouchID, or your AppleID Password.
- Scroll down and tap Purchase History.
- Find the purchase you want to refund from Apple and open it.
- On the “Order” view, tab the purchase again next to its price and billing details.
- Press Report a Problem. After that, your device will open a browser and ask you to sign in with your AppleID.
- Tap the What can we help you with field and select Request a refund.
- Next, pick a valid reason for a refund. For example, My purchase does not work as expected. Alternatively, you can select Other and provide more information. It is important to properly describe your issue to increase your chances of getting a refund from Apple. Apple can reject your request if you do not provide a valid explanation.
- On the next screen, select the purchase you want to refund from the App Store, then tap Submit.
That is how you request a refund from Apple. Note that it might take up to 48 hours for Apple to respond. The company will send you an email about the decision and a link to check the refund status.