Windows Vista and 7 had a dedicated widget system called “Windows Gadgets” that allowed placing small useful apps directly on the desktop. It was an excellent way to keep around a weather forecast, CPU and RAM usage, news headlines, and other practical information. In Windows 10, Microsoft decided to reincarnate the idea in a slightly different form factor. Thus News and Interests and Windows Widgets were born.
Windows 10 and 11 use space on the taskbar to display something better than emptiness. By default, it is the weather forecast for your current or a specified location. In Windows 11, users can also get stock updates, sports results, and other snippets. Naturally, not every user likes the weather on the taskbar in Windows 10 and 11. This article will show you how to remove weather from taskbar in Windows 10 and 11.
Remove Weather From Taskbar in Windows 10
You can turn off weather on the taskbar in Windows 10 with just a couple of clicks.
- Right-click the weather forecast on the taskbar and select News and Interests.
- Select Turn off. That will remove weather from taskbar in Windows 10.
- Alternatively, you can make the forecast smaller. Selecting Icon only will remove the temperature and text, leaving more space for your icons on the taskbar.
And that is all you need to do to remove weather from the taskbar in Windows 10.
Turn Off Weather on Taskbar in Windows 11
Removing the weather from the taskbar in Windows 11 is slightly different compared to Windows 10. Because Microsoft overhauled the taskbar in its latest operating system, right-clicking the weather does nothing. Instead, you need to disable the widget from the Settings app.
Note. You cannot change personalization-related settings in Windows 10 and 11 without activating the operating system first.
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app or right-click the Start menu button and select Settings.
- Navigate to the Personalization section and click Taskbar.
- Find the Taskbar items section and turn off the Widgets option. That will remove weather from the taskbar in Windows 11.
Like in Windows 10, you have one more variant. You can align taskbar icons to the left and thus shrink the weather widget to an icon only with a small temperature indicator.
- Open the Settings app and go to the Personalization section.
- Click Taskbar. Alternatively, right-click empty space on the taskbar and select the only available option.
- Open the Taskbar behaviors section.
- Select Left from the Taskbar alignment drop-down list.
Now you know how to remove weather from the taskbar in Windows 10 and 11.