If your computer, laptop, or tablet has a touchscreen, you can shut it down without a mouse just by tapping the Start button. Unfortunately, not every Windows PC has a touchscreen, so a broken mouse can become a big problem for an unprepared user.
Turn Off Computer Without Mouse
- Close all running apps using the Alt + F4 shortcut. You might use Alt + Fn + F4 when working with a laptop or a keyboard that uses media keys by default.
- Press Win + X to open the right-click menu of the Start button.
- Now locate the arrow keys on your keyboard and use them to get to the Shut down or sign out option.
- Now press the arrow-right button, then use the arrow up and down keys to highlight the Shut down option. You can also select other available options.
- Press Enter.
Another Option to Shutdown a Computer Without a Mouse
This one is even simpler.
- Close all apps with the Alt + F4 shortcut. If your computer does not react to the Alt + F4 shortcut, try Alt + Fn + F4.
- When there is no app in focus on the desktop, press Alt + F4 again.
- Windows will show a shutdown dialog. Use the arrow keys to select the needed option (Restart, Shutdown, Sleep, Hibernate, or Sign out).
- Press Enter.
Turn Off a Computer Without a Mouse Using Ctrl + Alt + Delete
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete, then use the Tab button to move the focus to the power button in the bottom-right corner of the screen. Press Enter, then select the option you need. Windows will warn you that shutting down the system that way may cause data loss.
Shut Down a Computer Without a Mouse in Windows 11
- Find and press the Win key in the bottom-left corner of your keyboard. Usually, it has a flag icon or a “Start” sign.
- Now press the Tab key several times until Windows 11 focuses on your user name and image.
- Press the arrow right key to move focus to the power button.
- Press Enter and select the needed option using arrow keys.
- Press Enter to confirm.
Shut Down a Computer Without a Mouse in Windows 10
You can use the same logic to shut down a Windows 10 computer without a mouse. A working keyboard is the only requirement.
- Press the Win key to open the Start menu.
- Now press the Tab key to focus.
- Use the arrow-down keys to move focus to the focus to the power button.
- Press Enter and select the needed option.
- Press Enter again.
How to Shut Down a Laptop Without a Mouse and Keyboard?
If your mouse and keyboard do not work, the only way to shut down a computer is by cutting off its power. You have several options here:
- Pull the power cable out of the socket. This will immediately shut down the entire system.
- Locate the on/off switch on the back of your computer (on the power supply) and turn it off.
- Press and hold the power button on your case.
The only way to turn off a laptop without a mouse and keyboard is to press and hold the power button. Remember that you will lose all unsaved data after shutting down a computer without closing apps first.