Here is how to remap Xbox controller buttons to make games more accessible and easy to play. Most games allow customizing input methods, but not all allow deep personalization, such as swapping sticks, customizing triggers, or re-assigning buttons on a gamepad. If you have a modern Xbox Wireless Controller, you can use the official tool from Microsoft to remap controls to fit your needs.
Remapping Controller Buttons on Windows 10/11
You need to download the Xbox Accessories app to remap Xbox Wireless controller buttons. The program is available on Windows 10, 11, and Xbox consoles, and you can get it from the Microsoft Store. Note that the app is not available on Windows 8.1 and older. Unfortunately, you need unofficial tools to remap controller buttons on Windows 8 and 7.
The Xbox Accessories app allows remapping buttons on the following controllers:
- Xbox Wireless Controller (the original Xbox One version and subsequent models).
- Xbox Elite Wireless Controller (all generations).
- Xbox Adaptive Controller.
If you want to remap buttons on a gamepad from another manufacturer, check its user manual or the official website. Many companies provide similar to the Xbox Accessories app utilities.
- Download the Xbox Accessories app from the Microsoft Store. The app is free, and it comes from Microsoft. No shady third-party apps.
- Connect an Xbox One controller to your computer or console and launch the Accessories app.
- Select your controller on the app’s home page and click the Configure button.
- Now, click the New Profile button.
- Give the profile a name. You can create many profiles to suit different games and scenarios. Click Save.
- It is button remapping time. Select a button you want to remap from the first drop-down list. The picture of the controller to the right will highlight the currently selected button to help you get around. You can remap any button on an Xbox Wireless Controller, except for the analog inputs (triggers and sticks).
- Now select a new action for the selected button from the Map to drop-down list.
- Repeat the steps above if you need to remap more buttons. Also, here you can swap sticks, invert axes, swap triggers, and enable or disable vibration.
That is how you remap gamepad buttons in Windows 10 and 11.
How to Remap Xbox Gamepad Buttons on iPhone or iPad?
Modern iOS versions support Xbox Wireless Controllers natively (models with Bluetooth). In our dedicated guide, you can learn how to connect Xbox Wireless Controller to an iPhone. iOS, unlike Windows, has no dedicated apps for remapping gamepad buttons. Apple ensured that capability was available on the system level.
- Connect your Xbox controller to your iPhone or iPad (make sure it runs iOS 13.1 or newer).
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and go to the General section.
- Tap Game Controller and make sure the next screen displays your gamepad. Press Custom Controls.
- Select the button to remap on your gamepad and pick a new action. Repeat this step with other controls.
- If you want to create custom button mapping for a specific game on the iPhone, tap Add App in the App Customization section. Select the game and remap the buttons you need.
That is how to remap buttons on an Xbox gamepad on iOS.