Here is how you can restrict internet access for apps on Windows 10 and 11. This article will be helpful if you need to use a specific application you do not trust or want to ensure it sends no data anywhere for another reason. There are plenty of apps for managing internet access on Windows. Some are free, and others are not. However, there is no need to download third-party apps—you can block apps from accessing the internet using Windows’ built-in Firewall. The app is not something an average customer uses daily, and its UI might initially be intimidating. Still, Windows Firewall is a relatively easy and accessible app for simple tasks, such as blocking internet access for apps on Windows 10 and 11.
Note. You need Administrator privileges to restrict internet access to specific apps on Windows 10 and 11.
Block apps from accessing the internet on Windows 10 and 11
We begin this guide by launching Windows Firewall. Here are several ways to do it:
- Press Win + R and type firewall.cpl.
- Launch Windows Search and type Firewall.
- Launch the Windows Security app and go to Firewall and network protection > Advanced Settings.
- Press Win + R and type control, then switch the view to Large icons and select Windows Defender Firewall > Advanced Settings.
Once Windows Firewall is running, do the following:
- Click Outbound Rules on the left-hand pane.
- Click New Rule on the right-hand pane. Windows will open a new window for creating Firewall rules. This is where you restrict apps from accessing the internet on Windows 10 and 11.
- Select Program and click Next.
- Select This program path and paste the way to the app you want to prevent from accessing the internet. You can click Browse and find the executable. Alternatively, open the Start menu, find the app you need, right-click it, and select Open File location. Right-click the app in File Explorer and select Copy as Path or press Ctrl + Shift + C.
- Click Next.
- Select Block the connection and click Next.
- Leave all three options checked on the next screen. This will ensure your app has no access to the internet, regardless of the network you use.
- Give the rule a proper name, so you can later find it to edit or delete. For example, “Prevent the app from accessing the internet on Windows 10.” There is also a description field for more information.
- Click Finish.
Now you can try opening the app. You will see that it can no longer access the internet.
Block access to the internet for apps from the Microsoft Store
You can also prevent apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store from accessing the internet.
- Open Windows Firewall as described previously.
- Click Outbound Rules and select New Rule.
- Select Program and click Next.
- Select All Programs and click Next.
- Leave the Block the connection option selected and click Next.
- Leave all networks checked and click Next.
- Name your profile and click Finish.
- Click your rule in the list and select Disable rule.
- Right-click the rule and select Properties.
- Go to the Programs and Services tab and click Application Packages > Settings.
- Click Apply to this application package and select the app from the list. Note that the package name might be slightly difficult to read.
- Click OK and save the changes.
That is it. Now the selected app from the Microsoft Store should be restricted from accessing the internet on your computer. To revert the changes, launch Windows Firewall, find your rule, and turn it off or remove.
Now you know how to block the internet for apps on Windows 10 and 11.