Wireless printers become more common nowadays. These devices allow you to print from various devices without a USB connection and this is very convenient (you can print from anywhere in your home or office while connected to a single Wi-Fi network). However, some users faced difficulties when setting up the wireless printer on Mac. In this instruction, we will describe how to add wireless printer to Mac and start printing.
Printing on the MacBook, iMac, Mac Mini, and other Apple devices are done using AirPrint technology. It was developed a long time ago. Its main function is to quickly connect a printer and use it without drivers or pre-configuration. All current printer models from leading manufacturers (including Epson, Canon, HP, Samsung, and others) now support AirPrint.
Any Mac computer supports this technology. Therefore, you can add Wi-Fi printer to the Mac in just a few minutes. You don’t need to activate this feature separately. It is integrated into macOS functionality.
How to Add a Wireless Printer to the Mac?
You only need to follow a few steps to connect your wireless printer to your Mac.
- First, go to your computer’s system settings.
- Then follow to the special section Printers and Scanners, where you need to click on the plus sign and add the detected device from the list of available devices.
- You will then be able to automatically select it to print your documents. To print, you need your printer and your Mac to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- You don’t need to install drivers or download special software to make it work on your Mac. AirPrint is stable across all Mac models with current macOS versions.
Not Connecting the Wireless Printer on the Mac
If something went wrong while setting up the printer, you can always reset everything to the factory configuration. To do this:
- Go to System Preferences > Printers and Scanners and right-click on the list of printers.
- In the context menu, you will see Reset Printing System. This action will delete all the printers you have configured and you can do it all over again.
Do this if you do not see a printer in your list of available devices. The problem may be due to a misconfiguration of the wireless printer’ connection settings. There may be a problem with the wireless printer configuration if you are unable to connect the printer after following our recommendations. Reboot the printer and make sure it is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your computer. Also, make sure that the printer supports AirPrint technology.
If after following all our recommendations, you are still unable to connect a wireless printer to a Mac, then try other methods including connecting via IP address or wired connection. We have already written about the alternatives in the manual.