When launching a newly downloaded game on your PC, the last thing you expect is some cryptic error preventing you from having fun. This article will show you how to fix a problem when you cannot run a game due to the “DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine” error. Other users might encounter a similar message: DX11 feature level 11.0 is required.
What Does “DX11 Feature Level 10.0 is Required to Run the Engine” Error Means?
In a nutshell, the error means your system has no required version of DirectX — graphical APIs from Microsoft found in almost every game. DirectX has several versions or generations and which one you need depends on how old the game you try to run is. The latest and newest games use DirectX 12, although DirectX 11 remains extremely popular. Older titles require DirectX 10 or even 9.
To fix the “DX feature level 10.0 is required” error on Windows, consider three things: the GPU in your system, the driver it uses, and the installed DirectX version. Sometimes, user can face System is not Authoritative for the Specified Account error when trying to change the password in Command Prompt.
How to Fix DX11 Feature Level 10.0 is Required?
To begin, press Win + R on your keyboard and enter the dxdiag command. It will run a built-in Windows utility for diagnosing your GPU, drivers, and other graphics capabilities.
Begin with checking the GPU inside your computer: if it does not support the needed version of DirectX, no need to bother with updating drivers or the APIs themselves. Those will give you nothing and not fix the “DX11 feature level 10.0 is required” error.
Once you open the dxdiag utility, switch to the Display tab. Look at the device name field.
Now you need to check whether the GPU supports the required version of DirectX. Here is a brief table for reference:
- DirectX 12 feature levels 11 and 10: the Nvidia GTX 400 Series, Radeon HD 7700, Intel HD Graphics 4200, and newer.
- DirectX 11 feature level 11: the Nvidia GTX 600 Series, Radeon HD 7790, Intel HD Graphics 4200, and newer.
- DirectX 11 feature level 10: the Nvidia GTX 400 Series, Radeon HD 5000, Intel HD Graphics 2500/4000, and newer.
If your graphics card supports the required level of DirectX, switch to the System tab in the dxdiag tool. If it does not, this article ends here for you.
On the System tab, check the DirectX version field. Make sure it says DirectX 12 or 11.
Now switch back to the Display tab and check the Feature Levels. If the required DirectX feature level is missing and your GPU supports it, the GPU driver is to blame.
- Begin fixing the “DX11 feature level 10.0 is required” error by downloading the DirectX web installer from the official website. It will get you all the missing binaries.
- Next, get yourself a fresh GPU driver. Head to the official Nvidia, AMD, or Intel website and download the latest driver for your specific GPU. Do not use the Device Manager to update drivers.
- Restart your computer once everything finishes installing. Launch the game and see what happens.
In most cases, getting fresh drivers and missing APIs fixes the “DX11 feature level 10.0 is required to run the engine” error. Still, the problem might refuse to go in specific situations. For example, when you use a pirated version of the game, which was improperly packed. Such repacks often miss critical files and do not work at all, no matter how hard you try to fix them. If there is no way to obtain a legal copy of the game (this mostly applies to very old titles), try downloading it from another source.
- How to find printer IP address? - 20.03.2023
- How to fix ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID? - 20.03.2023
- How to Fix Side by side Configuration is Incorrect in Windows 10/11? - 13.03.2023