Gmail emails can be received through third-party email clients that support the POP protocol. The Gmail mail service is a Google software package that takes on the task of forwarding e-mail messages between users — both their own and users of third-party services.
When using the email app instead of the Gmail web interface, you will be able to download emails to your desktop computer or laptop running Windows 10/7/8.1/8/Vista/XP, Linux, or macOS.
Why Do You Need the Gmail POP3 Settings?
The main reason why to use POP is that in the future you will be available to read e-mails even if you are not connected to the Internet.
The setup is done in two steps: first, allow POP in Gmail; then set up an email application on your PC or laptop.
Note. Make sure you need the POP protocol. You can use IMAP or POP to work with Gmail in third-party clients.
- Using the IMAP protocol, you can work with Gmail mail on several devices at once. In this case, the e-mailing is synchronized in real-time.
- POP access can only be enabled on one computer. In this case, emails won’t be synchronized in real-time — they will be downloaded to the email client at the frequency that is specified.
You are free to use your favorite email client, including Microsoft Outlook, The Bat!, Thunderbird, or the Windows 10 integrated Mail app.
How to Enable POP in Gmail?
First, set up POP in Gmail. Follow these steps:
- Open Gmail in your desktop or laptop web browser.
- In the top right corner, click the Settings icon, which looks like a gear. Then click the See all settings button. Open the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the POP download section, select the item that fits your case:
1. Enable POP for all mail (even mail that’s already been downloaded).
2. Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on.
- Click the Save Changes button to apply the new Google Mail settings.
How to Set Up a Gmail Account on Windows 10?
- Click the Start button. Open the All apps section. Select the Mail application.
- Click the Get started button in the Mail application window.
- Click Add account.
- Click Other account POP, IMAP in the Choose an account window.
- Type in your Google account email address and password. Fill in the User name line.
- In the Internet email account window, change the settings that are necessary to add your Gmail account to the Mail application. The SMTP protocol is used to send e-mails. The POP3 protocol is used to receive an e-mail by downloading messages from a remote mail server.
- Type pop.gmail.com in the line Incoming email server and smtp.gmail.com in the line Outgoing (SMTP) email server.
Outgoing server requires authentication.
Use the same username and password for sending email.
Require SSL for incoming email.
Require SSL for outgoing email.
For POP — 995;
For SMTP — 587, 25 or 465.
- Click the Sign-in button. Get started with your Gmail inbox in the Mail app. Do not share your Google account password with anyone.
The task is done — you’ve set up POP for Gmail. Now you can receive and send emails from your Google Mail address using the Windows 10 Mail app.
- How to find printer IP address? - 20.03.2023
- How to fix ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID? - 20.03.2023
- How to Fix Side by side Configuration is Incorrect in Windows 10/11? - 13.03.2023