Users receive more and more email messages every year. Not all messages can be stored and one time you will need to organize your Outlook emails properly. Keeping your Outlook inbox tidy increases productivity, improves mental comfort, and reduces the time it takes to find the messages you need. So we decided to show you how to clean up folder in Outlook.
How to Clean Up Outlook Folder: Social Media Messages
Microsoft Outlook allows you to create folders designed to store email from a specific recipient or topic. In the future, it will be easier for you to find the messages you want. You can move items manually: creating rules for automatic movement of messages according to specified criteria is a more efficient way.
- First, decide which items you are going to store in the new folder. If you don’t want to immediately delete automatic messages from Facebook, create a separate folder for them.
- Click on the New Folder link. Name folder so that the name is memorable and indicates its purpose. For example, Facebook Items.
- Find any incoming message from Facebook in the Inbox and right-click on it. On the first menu, click Move. From the second level menu select: “Move all messages from”.
- In the new window, select the Facebook Items folder you created earlier from the list.
- In the future, all messages from Facebook will be moved to the folder you specified.
In the same way, you can create folders for messages from any sender and a rule to move those items to a specific folder.
Create rules for Outlook items. Click on the gear icon to go to the settings. Select Rules from the Mail Preferences section. Click the “+” to the left of “Add new rule”.
For example, you want all messages that contain “Facebook” in the body or subject to be moved to the Facebook Items folder as well.
- Type in the name of the new rule.
- Select “Subject or body includes” from the “Add a condition” list. Type “Facebook” in the “Enter words to look for” field.
- Select the item “Move to” from the “Add an action” list.
- Then, from the “Select a folder” list, select the “Facebook Items” folder.
- Click Save button.
You can archive old messages. Items will remain in the Archive folder of your Outlook mailbox for more six months approximately.
- Open the settings and click “Add new rule”. Create a rule for moving messages to the archive according to the criteria you specified. Let’s take an example of archiving all last year’s mail:
Condition — “Before”
Date — 2020-12-31
Action — “Move to”
Destination folder — Archive.
- You can also move messages directly to the Deleted Items folder, where they will be kept for 30 days. To do this, select Deleted Items instead of Archive.
- Click Save to confirm the creation of the new rule in your Outlook mailbox.
What is the Best Way to Clean Up Outlook Inbox?
You can empty every folder of your Outlook mailbox, including Facebook Items and Archive. 3 steps to clean out the Outlook folder:
- Right-click on the folder you want to empty.
- From the menu select the item “Empty folder”.
- Click “Delete all” button.
In this way, you can empty any folder in your Outlook mailbox. Messages will be moved to the Deleted Items folder. Right-click on it, then “Empty folder”, and then Delete all to permanently delete all items.
How to Use Outlook Cleanup Tools?
Open Outlook on your PC. In the main menu of the application, go to File > Tools > Mailbox Cleanup. Configure the options you want to archive, clean, and delete items from your Outlook mailbox.