Sooner or later, your laptop battery starts degrading. As your laptop battery wears out, it starts losing capacity and thus decreases maximum standby time. Before long, ten comfortable hours of work on a single charge turn into six, five, or even less.
If you have noticed a significant decrease in battery life in your laptop, there are a few things you can do before buying a new device. Begin with calibrating the battery on a Windows laptop. A battery controller may report incorrect charging levels; calibration can fix that. Next, check battery health in Windows. Windows 10 battery report will let you know whether you need to replace the battery.
Generating a battery health report on Windows 10 is an easy way to find Windows battery health without third-party tools or apps. Still, some software can provide additional information about the battery inside your laptop or tablet.
Create Battery Report on Windows 10
- The first thing you need to do is run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Press Win + R, enter cmd, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter.
- Now enter the following command:
Do not place a period at the end of the command.
- Wait for your system to generate a battery report in Windows 10. Command Prompt should report saving the file in a specific folder. By default, Windows uses C:\Windows\system32\battery-report.html.
- Go to C:\Windows\system32 and find the battery-report.html file. Open it in any browser. Do note that the Internet connection is not required to open a battery report in Windows 10.
How to Find Battery Cycle Count in Windows 10?
To find how many cycles the battery in your laptop or tablet has, open the previously generated battery report. Scroll down to the Installed batteries section and look for the Cycle Count section.
What to do with that information depends on your laptop and battery manufacturers. Some laptops have a battery design capacity of up to 1000 cycles, while others recommend battery replacement after 800 or less. You need to make a decision based on how much battery life your laptop has lost. It is a good safety measure to replace batteries with a significant number of cycles, such as 1000 or more.
Apart from displaying battery cycle count in Windows, the battery report provides additional information, useful for checking battery health in Windows laptops. Battery usage shows the time you use your computer from a power source and battery. Battery capacity history displays how your battery changes over time.
How to Check Battery Health on Windows Laptop?
After figuring out how many cycles your battery has, it is time to learn how healthy the battery is. You do not need third-party apps to do that. Again, all it takes is a simple command in Command Prompt.
- Charge your laptop to 100%. This is important, otherwise, a report will show incorrect values.
- Open the Start menu and type cmd. Click Run as Administrator.
- Windows will open a new Command Prompt window. Enter the following command:
This command will generate a massive report about the battery inside your laptop or tablet.
- Wait for Windows to create a battery report. This takes usually no more than 60 seconds.
- After generating a battery report, Command Prompt will show you the path to the report. Copy it.
- Open your preferred browser and paste the path. The browser will open the battery report.
- Scroll down the report and find the Battery: Battery information section.
- Find two following lines: Design Capacity and Last Full Charge.
- Now you need to calculate the battery wear value. First, subtract the design capacity from the last full charge. Second, divide the result by the design capacity. For example, (48944-41739)/48944=0.14. This means the battery wear is 14%.
How to Check Laptop Battery Health on Windows 10 or 11?
If you are bad at math and want a faster way to check battery health in Windows, a third-party tool called AIDA64 is here to help. Note that the app is premium, but you can use a trial version for 30 days, which is more than enough.
- Download AID64 Extreme from the official website. A portable version will do the job.
- Extract downloaded files and run the app.
- Click Computer > Power Management on the left side of the window.
- Find the Battery Properties section and check the Wear level. That is your laptop’s battery health.
Keep in mind that software measurements are not always accurate and may fluctuate depending on what app you use to check battery health. Those we gathered here are the most accurate.